Spanish Marinated Olives
Serves four to six
200-250 g kalamata olives, pitted
1 Tbsp Spanish extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed in a mortar
1 thyme sprig, leaves only
1 rosemary sprig, leaves only
1/2 tsp dried red chilly flakes
1 to 2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
Place the drained olives into a bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and stir.
Leave to macerate for at least couple of hours before serving.
Mini Baked New York Cheesecakes
Preheat oven to 150C
Place patty cases in 2x 24 small hole mini muffin tray.
200g Marie biscuits, processed to coarse crumbs
Add 120g melted butter, process until combined
Spoon approx. 2 heaped tsp of mixture in each patty case and press down firmly to create base
Beat 500g cream cheese until smooth
Add ¾ cup sugar, ¾ tsp vanilla extract and
2 eggs. Beat until smooth
Fill patty cases with filling
Bake for 25 mins- or until cooked through
Top with whipped cream if desired
Buttery Soft Pretzels
Makes 12 large, 24 small
4 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp white sugar
1 1/4 cups warm water
5 cups plain flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup baking soda
4 cups hot water
1/4 cup kosher salt, for topping
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar and salt. Make a well in the center; add the oil and yeast mixture. Mix and form into a dough. If the mixture is dry, add one or two tablespoons of water. Knead the dough until smooth, about 7 mins. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 230C. In a large bowl, dissolve baking soda in hot water.
4. When risen, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope and twist into pretzel shape. Once all of the dough is shaped, dip each pretzel into the baking soda solution and place on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes, till brown.